Date: 2/4/18 9:06 pm
From: Barbara Combs <bcombs232...>
Subject: [obol] Turkey Vultures - seasonal or not?
I have been seeing Turkey Vultures all winter in various locations west of Eugene.
I suspect that they might all be part of the group that roosts near Veneta.
It has seemed that I have been seeing them more often than usual this winter.

Today I visited Christensen Road, south of the east side of Eugene.
One Turkey Vulture soared over the hills from the south, headed north/northeast.
There is a group of vultures that uses this area in the “warm season,” so I suspect that this vulture is a local rather than a visitor from Veneta. Or, it could have been an early migrant headed further north. With no data from November through January, I can’t say whether this bird overwintered or is an early arrival, but it seems that the situation should be monitored to see whether vultures’ seasonal behavior is in the process of changing.

Barbara Combs
Lane County, OregonPOST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!