Date: 2/4/18 4:13 pm
From: Herbert Flavell <herb1013...>
Subject: Re: Flicker York Co
Ann. Dont be to happy with that Yellow Belly Sapsucker if you like your
White Birch or Maple trees. They girdle the tree with holes to suck the
sap killing the trees. 30 years ago I planted 25 White Birch in 5 groups
of 5. They grew to about 25 or 30 feet tall till a family of Sapsuckers
killed every one. Then they started on a Red Pine that I planted by my
front door and killed it. All thats left of it is the stump. At least
with the White Birch I could cut a 12 inch piece of the toppled tree and
drill holes in it for Christmas candles. Each of my kids received 2 or 3
of them for Christmas display. This web site tells you how to protect
your trees.
https://www.thoughtco.com/dealing-with-woodpecker-sapsucker-tree-problems-1342929

Herb Flavell, Milk Can Corners, Gods Knob, Susquehanna county

On 2/4/2018 6:00 PM, Ann Pettigrew wrote:
> Interesting, Georgia, as I have a flicker and sapsucker this winter as well which is not typical for me. Lucky for me, we also have had pileateds along with hairy, red-bellied, and downy.
>
> Have a good night.
>
> Ann
>
> Ann C. Pettigrew, V.M.D.
> York, PA
> <rook185...>
> www.pbase.com/rook185
>
> “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
> ― Mahatma Gandhi
>

>> On Feb 4, 2018, at 1:49 PM, Georgia Kagle <jazzy523...> wrote:
>>
>> I have a flicker this winter in addition to the sapsucker. Along with red-bellied, Downey and hairy, I only need to have the pileated show up. But he doesn’t usually come till spring unfortunately
>>
>> Georgia Kagle
>> Carroll Twp/York Co
>>

>> Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
>> Get the new AOL app: mail.mobile.aol.com

Join us on Facebook!