Date: 2/4/18 12:00 pm
From: Alan Gamache <bird...>
Subject: Eurasian Wigeon, Mattamuskeet
Wanting to increase my list of ducks for the calendar year of 2018, I decided to take
a quick (?) trip to Mattamuskeet (Saturday 3 Feb. 2018) with my target bird (also my favorite duck) being the Blue-winged Teal.

While I was able to add a few waterfowl species: Northern Pintail, American Black Duck, Green-winged Teal, I completely struck out on the Blue-winged. So now needing to console myself a bit, I drove up the causeway to the observation deck area, and was able to get an Orange-crowned Warbler. Thank the lord for that!

But I still felt compelled and soon had returned to the marsh (Wildlife Drive). I stopped by that tiny blind on the west edge of the marsh, desperate to get the Blue-winged. While ever so tediously scanning through scads upon scads of ducks, I come across a Eurasian Wigeon
(male). Wow, I just got myself a second consolation bird!

Unfortunately, the Blue-winged Teal will have wait for another day. It was a fine afternoon, and a trip total of 49 species.

Al Gamache
New Bern, NC

Join us on Facebook!