Date: 2/4/18 11:27 am
From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Anna's nesting
We have had fledglings at our feeder for about 2 -3 week now - that
would be Bandon Coos Cty.   In fact the feeders are almost as busy with
Anna's right now as they are in summer with Selasphorus.    I believe
that would mean they were nest building and incubating in December at a
minimum.

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 2/4/2018 9:35 AM, Gregor Yanega wrote:
> Hi Nathaniel and Abby-
>
> I would like to add that the more information you can gather on early
> dates for nest building the better for Anna’s, particularly because
> they have only recently expanded their range into Washington and
> Oregon and because they do show some latitudinal variation in onset of
> breeding that tracks some combination of winter rain, day length, or
> flowering phenology (all linked, though seasonality and climate
> differs somewhat in PNW and central/southern Cal)-  there are late
> November- early December start up dates for Anna’s nesting in Southern
> California, certainly December and Early Jan start dates in Bay Area
> and I’ve seen Anna’s in Oregon start in late January.  Does anyone
> have other nesting records for first nest of the season for Anna’s in
> Oregon?
>
> Thanks
> Gregor Yanega
>
> On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 10:38 PM Nathaniel Wander <nw105...>
> <mailto:<nw105...>> wrote:
>
> Hiyah Abby,
>
> Fun sightings at Oaks Bottom.  But, I wouldn't necessarily
> consider Anna's nesting in early February a sign of spring.  They
> nest throughout fall and winter too: I've seen one sitting on an
> egg in San Francisco on New Year's Day.
>
> I think they may have once been endemic to southern California in
> the US and Baja California Norte in Mexico.  As they spread north
> with the planting of exotic vegetation and the provisioning of
> feeders--and maybe a little global warming--they seem to have
> retained a sub-tropical breeding pattern.  That is, they breed
> mostly through the rainy season and knock off in summer when there
> is probably less nectar available in the wild.  They feed
> nestlings mostly insects, but probably always need at least some
> high-sugar, high-fat resources to maintain their incredible energy
> outputs.
>
> Nathaniel Wander
> Portland

Join us on Facebook!