Date: 2/4/18 10:37 am
From: Jack Rogers <jack...>
Subject: Re: Tufted Duck on Bulls not seen today
In fact, one birder on the ABA RBA Facebook page, Martin Reid, is already
calling this bird a hybrid:
"The flanks on the presumed TUDU are not white, but very pale grayish, such
that there is a thin whiter line separating the flanks from the black
upperparts and undertail coverts. This is wrong for pure TUDU, which has
pure white underparts that lack any paler line where the flanks meet the
upperparts (rarely some can have darker imm. flank feathers, but this
creates the opposite effect whereby a darker line is present between the
black upperparts and the white underparts). The one pic with the head
raised in not very helpful, but suggests to me a less-than-classic TUDU
head shape.
I lean towards this being a hybrid TUDUxRNDU."
I have no experience with neither Tufted Duck nor any of the hybrids. Just
passing along this info for those who refuse to use "that loathsome
platform".

Jack Rogers
Mt Pleasant, SC

--
Jack Rogers
Mt Pleasant, SC
My Flickr page <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.flickr.com_photos_90726323-40N05_&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=7n5jTGUbJvzkaePN-DuKoJtCw3dgkZhth5hHVaImGz0&s=dvMnpA5DT272f-DZaMiykXW_In6utzioraPxxBDKDDI&e= >

Join us on Facebook!