Date: 2/4/18 10:30 am
From: Jack Rogers <jack...>
Subject: Re: Tufted Duck on Bulls not seen today
I'm obviously not one of the reviewers, but considering the bird is:
1) An ABA rarity (Code 3)
2) A state first
3) A Carolinas second (only other record is the 2009 Winston-Salem bird, as
I'm sure many of you know)
4) From a species well known to hybridize with several other species
(Tufted x Scaup, in particular, can be a hard ID)
I think that perhaps a little time might bode well for accuracy purposes
(not saying I don't believe that this bird in particular is indeed a Tufted
Duck. David is a great birder for finding this bird!). Not to mention the
other birds throughout the state needing to be reviewed. It's a tough
job! Kudos to em.

Jack Rogers
Mt Pleasant, SC

--