Date: 2/4/18 10:00 am
Subject: Re: Tufted Duck on Bulls not seen today
Question to you South Carolina folks: Why has the record of Tufted Duck,
with 10 excellent and confirming photographs on the eBird report, not yet
been accepted by eBird -- yet all of the other Bulls Island rare birds for
the same day (Feb. 2) and yesterday have been accepted? This has been done
intentionally, but why? If I were the observers/photographers .....

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 8:59 PM, David McLean <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> Sat 3 Feb 2018
>
> All,
>
> I was back on Bulls Island today on a field trip with the Charleston
> Natural History Society. Along with a few other birders chasing the Tufted
> Duck reported from Jack's Creek yesterday, we had numerous scopes looking
> for the one Tufted Duck among a raft of 1600 Lesser Scaup and Ruddy Ducks
> but came up empty. I feel that we had a better than even chance of seeing
> the Tufted Duck had it been there in that large raft.
>
> When we were watching the Tufted Duck yesterday, Friday, it behaved as
> though it was right at home. It was resting among many other ducks, was
> interacting with those others as though it was just another Lesser Scaup,
> and appeared well settled. Jack's is a big impoundment with many large open
> areas that the LESC seem to favor, and we were unable to look into most of
> those other areas today. The Tufted Duck could have easily been in another
> area of Jack's. Hopefully if will be re-sighted by others in the next few
> days.
>
> Regards,
>
> David McLean
> Charleston, SC