Date: 2/4/18 8:21 am
From: pep4223 <pep4223...>
Subject: Rusty Blackbird, White-crowned Sparrow, Fish Crow - Jefferson County
I'm sorry that I had to cancel the PVAS bird walk at Claymont this morning due to predicted freezing rain. Instead of the freezing rain, it has been snowing steadily. As I window watch from my living room, I see a frenzy of bird activity. My Hubby has already been outside (like a great hubby does) to refill empty suet baskets and feeders. We are going through about 9 suet blocks every other day, but being graced by good quantities of woodpeckers daily.

The solo White-crowned Sparrow that has been hanging near made a quick cameo appearance this morning in the snowstorm. I see it only occasionally in the yard all by itself.

Since I seem to have the only unfrozen water and bird food in the immediate vicinity, I am unfortunately attracting some of the starlings that normally hang out on the powerline. Luckily they brought a nice friend with them today, a lovely male Rusty Blackbird. Unfortunately the Rusty didn't stay long, but the starlings overstayed their welcome, as usual.

In addition to the large quantities of American Robins visiting daily, I had a large flock of Cedar Waxwings and a small flock of low flyover crows. I heard one Fish Crow in the bunch vocalize.

Winter is not over yet,

BIRDMOM

Jefferson County, WV

Join us on Facebook!