Date: 2/4/18 5:01 am
From: Clayton Koonce <cg.koonce...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Daedalus Books closing // Daedalus Pond eBird hotspot
The Daedalus Books & Music Warehouse Outlet on Gerwig Lane in Columbia has been a good, low-price source of birding and other nature books, among other things. As some might know now, the store just announced that it is closing. A sale with 20% off everything is in progress for this month, then they close. (There are some unhappy employees who were not told of this development until just before the announcement. Daedalus reportedly has been acquired by a new owner, who is moving headquarters to Ohio, where they will continue mail and online order business.)

I made what probably will be my last visit yesterday and bought one of the few remaining copies of "Owls of the World", the Yale book by Konig and Weick (second edition). I noticed plenty of other birding books still in the nature section.

Adjacent to the employee parking lot on the side of the warehouse is a stormwater management pond which I submitted as a hotspot on eBird about a year or so ago. I was in the habit of checking this pond and surrounding vegetation and trees before or after visits to the store. After finding young green herons, a resident pair of red-shouldered hawks, some common warblers, northern waterthrush, solitary and spotted sandpipers and other birds here, it seemed a good birding spot with potential for unusual species. Did not see any green herons there last summer, but I and one or two other birders found orioles, blue grosbeaks, indigo buntings, a hummingbird and a Wilson's snipe during 2017. Waterfowl so far have been limited to mallards and Canada geese. One drizzly day last summer, I saw a gigantic snapping turtle moving around in the shallow water before disappearing into a deep area. It's also a great spot for butterflies and dragonflies.

I dubbed the location Daedalus Pond when I submitted it as a hotspot. I suppose it can retain that name on eBird, also in honor of the store, which will be missed. I don't know what business will replace Daedalus, but I'll keep an eye on developments and status of access to the pond.

Link to the hotspot overview for Daedalus Pond:

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L4716866?yr=all&m=&rank=mrec

My Flickr album for Daedalus Pond:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/134809780@N03/albums/72157671913040010

Clayton Koonce