Date: 2/3/18 6:00 pm
Subject: Tufted Duck on Bulls not seen today
Sat 3 Feb 2018

All,

I was back on Bulls Island today on a field trip with the Charleston
Natural History Society. Along with a few other birders chasing the Tufted
Duck reported from Jack's Creek yesterday, we had numerous scopes looking
for the one Tufted Duck among a raft of 1600 Lesser Scaup and Ruddy Ducks
but came up empty. I feel that we had a better than even chance of seeing
the Tufted Duck had it been there in that large raft.

When we were watching the Tufted Duck yesterday, Friday, it behaved as
though it was right at home. It was resting among many other ducks, was
interacting with those others as though it was just another Lesser Scaup,
and appeared well settled. Jack's is a big impoundment with many large open
areas that the LESC seem to favor, and we were unable to look into most of
those other areas today. The Tufted Duck could have easily been in another
area of Jack's. Hopefully if will be re-sighted by others in the next few
days.

Regards,

David McLean
Charleston, SC