Date: 2/3/18 3:37 pm
From: Glenn <000001214b3fcb01-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Trumpeter Swan question
I have been to so many national parks, and state parks, where it is common to see signs like "Don't feed the chipmunks", or "Don't feed the mountain sheep", or "Don't feed the bears".  And always the signs explain how they do not want the animals to become dependent on humans feeding them because they forget how to forage on their own.  And when the people go away the animals starve.  Yet, the Trumpeter Swans here in Arkansas are fed very well.  The people who own the ponds where they stay feed them corn.  People are encouraged to bring corn to feed the swans at Magness Lake.  Are the Audubon Society and other birding groups okay with this?  It goes against everything I have been taught.  What is the feeling in the birding community on this?  Just curious.
Glenn WyattCabot

Join us on Facebook!