Date: 2/3/18 2:36 pm
From: Robert Furrow <robertfurrow...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] birding class field trip, Coyote Point, San Mateo, 3 Feb 2018
This morning, I led a birding class trip to Coyote Point, for Palo Alto
Adult School's intermediate birding class. We focused on the tidal marsh
and bay ducks, with a quick stop by the freshwater marsh.

We had a nice morning, highlighted by 2 TREE SWALLOWS that acted like local
returning birds and interacted a lot in the air.

On the rising tide, we noted 1 RED KNOT and 20+ SANDERLING among the
abundant Dunlin, Black-bellied Plover, and Western Sandpiper. 8 Black
Turnstones were around, but they mostly seemed to be foraging on the far
side of the concrete slabs. An OSPREY gave incredible views as it circled
overhead. Our class had been working on grebe ID, so it was great fun to
make close comparisons of Western vs. Clark's and Eared vs. Horned in the
harbor and nearby.

The freshwater marsh had several WILSON'S SNIPE, and a few students spotted
a SORA for a brief moment.

The warm east wind felt a little unsettling for early February, but we
enjoyed the temperature.

Happy birding,
Rob Furrow

--