Date: 2/3/18 2:25 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Linn County Birding Area Closure (and my annual site guide pitch)
Hi -

If it is Weyerhaeuser that is closing the site, it likely has nothing to do with birder behavior on the site.  Weyerhaeuser is re-assessing and reducing public access throughout their landholdings.

Wayne

On 2/3/2018 10:05:41 AM, Charles Gates <cgates326...> wrote:
Jeff Harding emailed me to inform me that the Griggs area in Linn County
was no longer open to the public for birding.  This is Weyerhauser
property and not public land.  If this is a place you bird, please
refrain from going on the property.  If things change, I'll let everyone
know.  If you hear anything, let me know.  You can view this area on the
Linn County Site Guide at http://www.ecaudubon.org/birding-locations.

In case you didn't know, this website has site guides for each of
Oregon's 36 counties.  The site is maintained by me but the content
comes from over 100 of Oregon's best birders.  If you want directions to
a birding location in Oregon, this should be your first stop (I might be
biased).  If you have info about any of these birding sites or
recommendations for new sites, let me know (I'll probably ask you to
help with directions and such).  Just as important, if you know of a
site that is no longer open or viable.  Please let me know.

In addition to the Site Guide, the East Cascades Audubon Society
maintains updated checklists for all 36 counties.  These checklists come
in two flavors: 1) A complete checklist of all the birds reported and
confirmed in that county and 2) A field checklist that has only the most
common birds seen in the county and can be printed and used as a daily
checklist.  All checklists are kept to 2 pages and are in tri-fold
format.  This makes for easy printing and carrying in the field.  I get
a lot of help editing the complete checklist but few people comment on
the Field Checklist.  I depend on local knowledge to make both
checklists as complete as possible.  If you want to help with this
project, go the Field Checklists and see if there should be additions,
omissions or edits.  Thanks.

Mark Twain

Chuck Gates
Prineville Bird Club