Date: 2/3/18 2:20 pm
From: Judith Dunham <jldunham...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Richmond Herring Spawn
It was party time this morning at Brooks Island and along the jetty extending out from the island. We arrived by boat as the tide was just coming in. The shoreline and nearby waters were filled with thousands of foraging birds: cormorants, gulls of at least four species, scaup, American Wigeon, and Bufflehead. Some of the gulls were plunge-diving like pelicans in order to dredge up strands of eel grass and get to the eggs.

We avoided getting too close and disturbing the birds. I put up some rough numbers on eBird, though I feel they are conservative. I do not have a long lens, but included some so-so photos: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42465969

The California Audubon team is surveying tomorrow morning at Miller-Knox and Pt. Molate. It will be interesting to see what activity we can observe from the shoreline.

Anyone interested in herring spawn updates can sign up with the CDFW: https://cdfwherring.wordpress.com/

Judith Dunham
Berkeley, CA

To contact the list Administrator go to: <EBB_Sightings-owner...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)