Date: 2/3/18 4:09 am
From: Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: Short-eared Owls on Blackland Road near Frog in the Valley
At dusk on Friday evening (February 2), Bill and Toka Beall visited Blackland Road near intersection with River Road. They saw 10 Northern Harriers just before roost. Then they saw four Short-eared Owls and one Great Horned Owl. This is immediately south of Dyer and involves an area where Arkansas Game and Fish has acquired properties that will be added to existing adjacent Frog Bayou WMA.

Check out the map at the end of the Frog guide on the Northwest Arkansas Audubon Society web site:
http://www.nwarkaudubon.org/placestobird.htm

<http://www.nwarkaudubon.org/placestobird.htm>
The Beallís observations on Blackland Road follow their similar observations a few evenings before of numerous harriers and s-e owls along Sharp Chapel Road, less than 3-miles southwest, and also involving properties that will be part of an expanded Frog WMA. Most of the 3-miles that separates their two evening observations includes big fields of Frog WMA, much of it suitable for harriers and owls.

I will just throw in here that we have seen Sandhill Cranes in both areas, though not this year. Just mentioning this as a way of taking note that these are biologically-rich places.

Sharp Chapel Road and Blackland Road are currently easy to drive (not so easy after big rains), so would be an easy way to see harriers and owls. A night with some moonlight would extend the owl views.

Join us on Facebook!