Date: 2/2/18 10:24 pm
From: Jared Gorrell <jsgorrell...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Pyramid State Park, Perry co.- Two Visits, LATE posting (1/27 and 1/28/18)
Hi all! Sorry for not posting this earlier, but I had a lot of fun in
Pyramid State Park / Recreation Area last Saturday and Sunday. The
discussion of Red-winged Blackbirds reminded me of this, since I meant to
post sooner.

I took some friends over to the Denmark unit Saturday night, and in
addition to one very intoxicated Humvee driver, we saw 12 Short-eared Owls,
one Loggerhead Shrike, and roughly a quarter of a million blackbirds
coming in to roost for the night. Of those, I could confirm that about
40,000 were just Red-winged Blackbirds.
Wondering if that night was a fluke, I went back the following night to get
better pictures (taken from my car at a non-threatening distance) and was
rewarded with 10 Short-eared Owls (one not on the Sunday checklist was seen
nearby) and the same blackbird flock. Absolutely staggering and I
encourage anyone in the area to visit. I'm looking forwards to later this
month when the massive flocks of Snow Geese come back to roost there!

Also, it's nice to post something to IBET and not have to retract it 3
hours later! I've still not forgiven that Slaty-backed Gull...

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42295750

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42326318

Jared Gorrell

Join us on Facebook!