Date: 2/2/18 6:45 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: A two merlin day in Yamhill County...both town birds
Multiple-Merlin days are special.

This has been a spectacular winter for Merlins.  I have been seeing them far more often than most winters.  For a while I have been telling myself that I have finally learned to "see" Merlins (with practice you can get  lot better at noticing and recognizing them at long distances), but it has become clear that there are more around than usual.  All that I have seen well this winter are the more common "taiga" subspecies, and most are immatures, suggestng a very good breeding season up north.

Wayne
On 2/2/2018 6:19:19 PM, Harry Fuller <atowhee...> wrote:
https://atowhee.wordpress.com/2018/02/02/my-merlot-merlin/ [https://atowhee.wordpress.com/2018/02/02/my-merlot-merlin/]

--

Harry Fuller
author of: San Francisco's Natural History: Sand Dunes to Streetcars:

author of Great Gray Owls of CA-OR-WA: https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/the-great-gray-owl-book/ [https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/the-great-gray-owl-book/]
author of Freeway Birding: freewaybirding.com [http://freewaybirding.com]
birding website: http://www.towhee.net [http://www.towhee.net]
my birding blog: atowhee.wordpress.com [http://atowhee.wordpress.com]