Date: 2/2/18 1:27 pm
From: Jerry <bogey...>
Subject: Re: Pungo Lake road conditions?
Pat’s Road/Charles Kuralt trail. I drove last week on the dirt road until I came to
the right turn on the trail. A warning sign says that part of the road “may be impassible under
wet conditions. It was! Had to double back. Plenty of Tundras in the waters and many were exiting
for whereever they go. The Snow Geese were out in the fields and nowhere to be seen.
Bottom line: if it has recently rained: Drive with caution..... and then go straight to the car wash.

Jerry Kerschner
Pawleys Island SC

Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 11:00 AM
To: <carolinabirds...>

My wife Karen & I visited Pungo Lake for the first time yesterday (2/1) in our humble Chevy Cruze.

Picking up a refuge map at the information kiosk, we were able to drive to the “Pungo Lake Platform” with little difficulty. Plenty of Tundra Swans and distant Snow Geese but strong winds that challenged the scope. We weren’t confident about the looks of the road over to “Pungo Lake Observation Point” or the warning sign, and so we re-traced our steps back out (Hyde Park Road?) to the Refuge Road. We drove part way out the “D-Canal Road” with little difficulty. We spent the rest of our time enjoying the Tundras off of Pat’s Road and trying without success to find a Yellow-Headed Blackbird among the thousands of Red-winged Blackbirds.

A more muscular, higher clearance vehicle might inspire more confidence.

Happy trails,

Jim Landau

landaujrATgmail.com

Beaufort, NC