Date: 2/2/18 9:10 am
From: JOHN HIGGINS <jghiggins...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SE AZ: Tucson Avra Valley Wastewater Treatment Ponds HYBIRD WIGEON
Thanks to the AVWTF staff, the short "birders' gate" west of the parking lot was open. The farthest northwest pond was shallow but covered in water. Among the American Wigeons there was a red-headed wigeon.

I came home and reviewed the photos taken the last two months of the Eurasian Wigeon and the Eurasian-American hybrid seen there Based on that and what I saw this morning, my guess is that this the hybrid. The lower cheek looked lighter colored. I'd love to be proven wrong!

There are two other ponds that have shallow puddles with also have birds in them. The gates are open 7am to 2pm.

Call ahead to 577-7341 to see if birders can go in. There has been some recent construction closures.

John Higgins, Tucson, AZ