Date: 2/2/18 8:51 am
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Linn County Bewick's Swans
*

I share Dave's suspicion that the immature swan looking straight at the camera is not a pure Whistling Swan. The immature on the left, in perfect profile,is a dark cool gray on the head and neck. All the immature Whistling Swans I examined last weekend were much paler on the head and neck, warmer, browner. This bird has the same tones as a Trumpeter I think. The one on the right in near perfect frontal view seems paler, but still much cooler than immature Whistlers. And they both have a spectacled look. The eye ring is skin not feathers. Some adult Bewick's have a full yellow circle around their eyes. Both these two birds are at the same stage of molt with white feathers starting to replace grey ones at the base of gape and at the forehead. And the immature swan on the right shows a V-shaped feather edge between the eyes, where Whistlers' are supposed to be U-shaped. This bird(on right, facing camera directly)has an all black bill while immature Whistlers at the moment are still showing a lot of pink on the culmen, especially the middle part. lpn

Join us on Facebook!