Date: 2/2/18 8:01 am
Subject: Re: Pungo Lake road conditions?
My wife Karen & I visited Pungo Lake for the first time yesterday (2/1) in
our humble Chevy Cruze.

Picking up a refuge map at the information kiosk, we were able to drive to
the "Pungo Lake Platform" with little difficulty. Plenty of Tundra Swans and
distant Snow Geese but strong winds that challenged the scope. We weren't
confident about the looks of the road over to "Pungo Lake Observation Point"
or the warning sign, and so we re-traced our steps back out (Hyde Park
Road?) to the Refuge Road. We drove part way out the "D-Canal Road" with
little difficulty. We spent the rest of our time enjoying the Tundras off of
Pat's Road and trying without success to find a Yellow-Headed Blackbird
among the thousands of Red-winged Blackbirds.

A more muscular, higher clearance vehicle might inspire more confidence.

Happy trails,

Jim Landau

landaujrATgmail.com

Beaufort, NC