Date: 2/1/18 10:43 pm
From: David Irons <LLSDIRONS...>
Subject: [obol] Bewick's Swan comparison of birds reported in 2016 and just last week.
Greetings All,

On 12 January 2016 Shawneen and I found an adult "Bewick's" Tundra Swan in a large flock of Tundra Swans along American Drive west of Halsey, Linn County. I took some distant photos of that bird. Upon seeing Sally Hill's photos of the adult and immature taken near Shedd, Linn County on 26 January of this year it reminded me the appearance of our 2016 bird. I finally found the time to review my photos and found one that shows the adult bird with its head held at almost the same angle as a bird in one of Sally's shots. I aligned the two images on my monitor and then took the attached screen shot. It shows the left side of the bill of each bird in a side-by-side comparison. To my eye the pattern of yellow on the side of the bill and narrow bridge of yellow over the culmen appear to be identical or nearly so on these two birds. This comparison collage strongly suggests to me that the same adult bird was involved in both sightings. I would like to see a side view of the bill on the other immature in the group, as it looks like it could be a Bewick's or a Bewick's X Whistling intergrade as well. Sally, if you have side profile shots of the other immature I would love to have a look at them.

Dave Irons

Beaverton, OR

Join us on Facebook!