Date: 2/1/18 5:48 pm
From: Jay Withgott <withgott...>
Subject: Re: [nfc-l] How do we know NFCs?

Hi everyone — and thanks, Ted, for giving me an excuse to dredge up this oldie-but-goodie of an article, from the Dec. 2002 issue of Birding. Sixteen years ago, yeah, sheeesh — guess that makes us old-timers now, Ted.

Attached is a PDF of the article, and also attached is a low-res copy of Julie Zickefoose’s wonderful BB Cuckoo art for the cover of that issue.

Definitely takes me down memory lane. I’d be interested to hear people’s thoughts on what has changed and what has stayed the same since this ancient 2002 status report!

Jay Withgott
Portland, OR

> On Jan 31, 2018, at 6:21 AM, Ted Floyd <tfloyd...> <mailto:<tfloyd...>> wrote:
>
>> Jay Withgott?
>>
>> You out there?
>>
>> Could you post a PDF of your fine article in Birding, gasp, 16 years ago? (Feels like yesterday.)
>>
>> Best, --TF
>> ===================================
>>
>> Ted Floyd
>> Editor, Birding magazine
>> Managing Editor, North American Birds
>>
>> Website: http://aba.org/birding <http://aba.org/birding>
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/BirdingMagazine <https://twitter.com/BirdingMagazine>
>> The ABA Blog: http://blog.aba.org/ <http://blog.aba.org/>
>> On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 12:50 AM, Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam...> <mailto:<wim.van.dam...>> wrote:
>> So as I'm starting to learn about NFCs the obvious question came to
>> me: how do we know what we currently know?
>>
>> Do we typically infer ID features from daytime flight calls where we
>> can visually verify our IDs? Or are night calls too different from
>> daytime ones, meaning that we have/had to find other ways of matching
>> calls with birds (netting, night time visual observations, etc)?
>>
>> Imagine somebody trying to get into NFCs in an unexplored part of the
>> world. How does such a person start?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Wim van Dam
>> Solvang, CA (USA)