Date: 2/1/18 1:34 pm
From: Harvey Tomlinson <oddbirdsin...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Stray Hummingbirds
Hi Jersey Birders,
I was about to get my "brag" on and send anyone interested to my Stray
Hummingbird Flickr album for a flit across the years.
Up until David LaPuma got his banding license there was no one to call for
ID's by banding and measurement.
Michael O'Brien came by the first fall and ID'd my first Rufous Hummingbird
by voice!!!!
After that I was on my own with only photo's although I'm sure Michael
would have come back out if I could have connected with him.
The next 4 birds that had rufous (2013-2017) were all submitted as
Selasphorus sp.
That works fine for me.
It's about the thrill not the exact species.
Well, while putting together the album I found an anomaly.
And after reviewing many, many of my pics and looking thru the 3 good
Hummingbird Guides I own I believe the first of the two 2013 birds is
actually a Broad-tailed Hummingbird (BTHU)
An Immature Male that spent a goodly part of the Fall here.
I could really use some input and opinions from other birders.
Here's what I see:
Based on the gorget it is an Immature Male Selasphorus.
The gorget spangling is mostly green with a cluster in the center the color
of which never shows. Good for BTHU
But the best information/pics I have on it are the retrices and upper tail
coverts.
On both Allen's and Rufous the uppertail coverts are all washed with rufous
to some extent.
This bird is not. R1 is green to black with out any rufous on the covert or
rump
R2 is washed only on the edges and shows no notching near the tip as would
be seen with Rufous.
R1 and 2 are very rounded and not pointy as Allen's and Rufous would show.
R5-R3 are tipped in white and more rounded than pointed.
R1 is clearly longer than R2 . Good for BTHU
The tail is longer than the wings.
The primary wing profile is hard to see but has that uniform width that
Calypte shows as does BTHU but not all the primaries are visible.
Before I pick up my horn to toot it I would love to resolve this
question..........
The album and all it's participants:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shearh2o/albums/72157692830677085
The Flickr stream with just the possible BTHU:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shearh2o/40026846071/in/dateposted-public/
Feed back of any kind is really appreciated.
I could really use the help
Thanks and Happy Ground Hog's Day!!!!!!
Harvey Tomlinson
Del Haven NJ