Date: 2/1/18 12:19 pm
From: Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] Is the Patagonia Red-breasted Sapsucker a hybrid?
It has come to my attention that many expert birders in southern California
(in the range of ssp. daggetti) are uncomfortable calling the Patagonia
bird a pure Red-breasted and also lean towards either a hybrid or a
backcross, so Denny may well be right about this individual (though I think
the original remarks were oversimplified and overlooked the intraspecific
variation seen in red-breasted). Sapsuckers identification is a pain,
given the presence of multiple hybrid zones, introgression, and nearly
continuous plumage variation. Even Yellow-bellied may come into contact
with Red-breasted in northern British Columbia. When I moved to Nevada, I
was very reluctant to label anything remotely ambiguous as a pure
red-breasted, but other birders convinced me I was being overly-cautions,
and perhaps I've swung too far in the other direction. This is always a
good reference to review and review again......:
http://www.paradisebirding.com/Paradise%20Birding%20PDFs/steve%20shunk%20publications/Shunk%202005%20Sapsucker%20Hybrids.pdf
.

Good Birding,

Carl Lundblad