Date: 2/1/18 10:05 am
From: Mort Womack <mortwomack...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Catalina Mts : Lewis's Woodpecker
About 2 weeks ago a Lewis's Woodpecker was reported by Richard Carlson on the cliff area near the turnoff to General Hitchcock campground. My wife, Linda, and I were hiking in the area a day or two later and saw the woodpecker very close to the hiking trail that goes from Bear Picnic complex up to and beyond General Hitchcock which is currently closed for camping. Yesterday we saw it again on very same section of trail. There are probably easier places to see it, but this one seems fairly reliable. There is a 5 or 6 car parking space for trail access at the north end of the Bear Picnic complex actually opposite the Chiricahua Picnic area. Take the hiking trail North towards General Hitchcock. The trail is fairly steep -- you reach one rise and then go down and climb again. Just before you come close to the top of the second rise you will go up 5 or 6 steeps made from large timbers. In that area the woodpecker is going between 3 or 4 tall dead tree spikes, fir or pine with no side branches. Occasionally he chases off Acorn woodpeckers which are numerous there. Two weeks ago we saw crossbills, white breasted & pigmy nuthatches, Arizona woodpecker, and flickers in the same stretch of trail, but not yesterday--just towhees, jays and white breasted nuthatches. Mort Womack