Date: 2/1/18 9:43 am
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Blue-winged Teal status
Without doing any research (a dangerous proposition), my pinion is that the female is a very dull Cinnamon Teal.( By the way, I recently saw adult female Cinnamon Teal in Green Valley Arizona. It was on the CBC with a flock of wigeon.)

The reasons that I am suggesting this are two:
1. The bill looks identical in size and shape to that of the male. A Cinnamon Teal has a larger bill than does a Blue-winged.
2. Though the plumage is generally less “warm” colored than that a typical Cinnamon, if one looks closely at the browner feathers one can see some reddish tones to them, though muted. Look then at photos of female Blue-winged Teal, which are not as “warm” colored as the subject bird.

Though non-probative, consider Occam’s Razor - that the most obvious explanation is usually the correct one. In this case the bird is with a male Cinnamon Teal. They appear to be a pair. Sure, individuals of the two species can associate,, and rarely hybridize. In addition, Cinnamon Teal are much more regular in winter in Oregon than are Blue-wings, and migrant Cinnamons occur earlier in spring generally. Since western Oregon is having a mild winter, these may be early migrants.

Jeff Gilligan

> On Feb 1, 2018, at 10:26 AM, Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> wrote:
>
> Blue-wings vary by year in their abundance in Oregon. Two years ago there were probably ten pairs around the Fern Ridge Royal Avenue dikes in summer; last year it was tough to find any at all. That’s true even at Malheur, where the species has become rather uncommon.
>
> Winter is another story. I have seen fewer than half a dozen Blue-wings in Oregon in winter, and half of those were on the s coast.
>

> Alan Contreras
> <acontrer56...> <mailto:<acontrer56...>
>
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> www.alanlcontreras.com <http://www.alanlcontreras.com/>
>

>> On Feb 1, 2018, at 9:19 AM, <shovelor...> <mailto:<shovelor...> wrote:
>>
>> Good info. When a bird is in question I usually lean towards the species that is most common in an area rather than assume a rarity. Cinnamons are all over the Willamette Valley.
>>
>> This situation happens all too often with blue wing teal in the W. Valley. So many reports of hens... but rarely ever a drake. With the similarity between the hens of both species, I always think it’s a stretch to go with blue wing (in our area) unless a drake is present.
>>
>> There is so much variation in waterfowl coloration present in all species.
>>
>> I appreciate this discourse and am always open to learning. Thanks.
>>
>> -Jon
>>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Feb 1, 2018, at 8:32 AM, Bob Archer <rabican1...> <mailto:<rabican1...>> wrote:
>>
>>> The bird on right appears to be a Blue-winged due to cold plumage color (Cinn Teal are warmer in tone) Strong eye arcs, pale area above eye is broken in two, large obvious pale loral area, pale throat. Just overall stronger face pattern.
>>>
>>> The Cinnamon Teal on left looks like a first-winter male coming into his adult plumage aspect.
>>>
>>> Bob Archer
>>> PDX
>>>
>>> On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 8:00 AM, Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> <mailto:<acontrer56...>> wrote:
>>> I think the question is whether the drake is a pure Cinnamon.
>>>

>>> Alan Contreras
>>> <acontrer56...> <mailto:<acontrer56...>
>>>
>>> Eugene, Oregon
>>>
>>> www.alanlcontreras.com <http://www.alanlcontreras.com/>