Date: 2/1/18 9:26 am
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Blue-winged Teal status
Blue-wings vary by year in their abundance in Oregon. Two years ago there were probably ten pairs around the Fern Ridge Royal Avenue dikes in summer; last year it was tough to find any at all. That’s true even at Malheur, where the species has become rather uncommon.

Winter is another story. I have seen fewer than half a dozen Blue-wings in Oregon in winter, and half of those were on the s coast.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>

Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Feb 1, 2018, at 9:19 AM, <shovelor...> wrote:
>
> Good info. When a bird is in question I usually lean towards the species that is most common in an area rather than assume a rarity. Cinnamons are all over the Willamette Valley.
>
> This situation happens all too often with blue wing teal in the W. Valley. So many reports of hens... but rarely ever a drake. With the similarity between the hens of both species, I always think it’s a stretch to go with blue wing (in our area) unless a drake is present.
>
> There is so much variation in waterfowl coloration present in all species.
>
> I appreciate this discourse and am always open to learning. Thanks.
>
> -Jon
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 1, 2018, at 8:32 AM, Bob Archer <rabican1...> <mailto:<rabican1...>> wrote:
>
>> The bird on right appears to be a Blue-winged due to cold plumage color (Cinn Teal are warmer in tone) Strong eye arcs, pale area above eye is broken in two, large obvious pale loral area, pale throat. Just overall stronger face pattern.
>>
>> The Cinnamon Teal on left looks like a first-winter male coming into his adult plumage aspect.
>>
>> Bob Archer
>> PDX
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 8:00 AM, Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> <mailto:<acontrer56...>> wrote:
>> I think the question is whether the drake is a pure Cinnamon.
>>

>> Alan Contreras
>> <acontrer56...> <mailto:<acontrer56...>
>>
>> Eugene, Oregon
>>
>> www.alanlcontreras.com <http://www.alanlcontreras.com/>
>>

>>> On Feb 1, 2018, at 7:48 AM, <shovelor...> <mailto:<shovelor...> wrote:
>>>
>>> What makes you so confident that the hen isn’t a cinnamon hen? From my experience they are very similar, and seeing as it appears to be paired with a cinnamon drake, and given the wintering location (where a blue wing would be quite rare) this seems to be the most likely conclusion.
>>>
>>> Not trying to stir things up, but this appears to be a cinnamon teal pair. Good birding!
>>>
>>> -Jon
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!