Date: 2/1/18 8:59 am
From: Denny Granstrand <dgranstrand...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Is the Patagonia Red-breasted Sapsucker a hybrid?
I was in Patagonia yesterday and was given directions to the location of
the Red-breasted Sapsucker. I found it quickly and got some photos. It
appears to me that it is a hybrid Red-breasted X Red-naped Sapsucker. The
red on the head is broken up by the face pattern of a RNSA showing through.
A pure RBSA should be a nearly complete red head or with only touches of
black or white around the eye.

Here is the link to my eBird report from yesterday:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42390666

I live in Yakima, WA. In the forests in Yakima County we frequently see
mixed pairs of RNSA and RBSA. We also see the hybrid offspring regularly. I
have photos of hybrids in the Sapsucker folder on my website:

http://www.granstrand.net/gallery/album62

Some of the hybrid sapsuckers in my photos look just like the one in
Patagonia.

If you do an eBird search for Red-breasted Sapsucker photos, you will find
quite a few that look like the one in Patagonia. You will notice, though,
most of those photos were taken during the winter. Those birds undoubtedly
were migrants from the sapsucker hybridization zone in the Pacific
Northwest.

Denny Granstrand

Denny Granstrand
Yakima, WA