Date: 2/1/18 8:04 am
From: Jeff Harding <jeffharding...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Talking Water Gardens Swallows and Teal
Jon,

You are correct that female Cinnamon and Blue-winged are quite similar; and Blue-winged is rare in Oregon in the winter. I could certainly be wrong, and would not bet the farm on the identification. This hen has cool gray tones in the head, strong white eye-arcs, and a dark line through the eye. In addition the bill appears less spatulate than a Cinnamon typically has. But I’ve been looking at these teal at Talking Water Gardens for some time, and they are quite approachable. There appears to be a clinal relationship in the characteristics of the hens, and it may be that there is a genetic mixture, as shown by the drake.

For what it’s worth, other birders, good ones, have identified Blue-winged Teal here, and this one looks like the one in other’s photos. But there are doubtless subtleties I’m missing.

Cheers,

Jeff