Date: 2/1/18 7:01 am
From: Marcy Cunkelman <plant4nature...>
Subject: Re: Hackberry Birds: Evening Grosbeaks
The reason I got a hackberry tree was because I had both of the emperors here before I had a tree. Need to see if I can find some down over the hill. I am not familiar with this tree.

Another tree the birds have been munching on is the tulip tree and the candles. That tree grows very easily and the seeds seem to fly far from the tree.

Birds, butterflies and pollinators all love the habit improvement. Now to get some paw paws growing for me and the zebra butterflies, I will have another host plant.

And we do have the cucumber magnolia at driveway edge and in our little patch of woods.

Thinking spring!!!

Marcy Cunkelman, Indiana co

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 1, 2018, at 8:29 AM, Gross, Douglas <dogross...> wrote:
>
> Hi Marcy,
> I do not propagate Northern Hackberry or know much about its growth. Hackberry grows best in rich bottomland forests but also will grow on hillsides. Each tree has flowers of both sexes. But, I would bet that it is better for multiple trees to be planted at a location to mix with the usual silver maples & sycamores of these woods.
> I’ve seen many hackberry trees in woods along the Susquehanna river including places like Bloomsburg town park, the Berwick brewery (which overlooks the river), Susquehanna Riverlands, and along the Susquehanna Warrior Trail in Luzerne County. I am sure that they grow at many locations along the main branch of the Susquehanna and along other streams in the state as well as parks and game lands. They must be common on islands, too. Birds distribute the seeds through their digestive tract so seedlings grown in a lot of places that might not be optimum for growth.
> Yes, I have seen hackberry emperors in Susquehanna Riverlands.
> When I have led bird walks, I’ve often been the only person on the walk who knew what this species was and that it was a good wildlife plant. That’s why I’ve chimed in. It is good for birders to be better botanists.
>
> I also like the cucumber magnolia tree or cucumber-tree (Magnolia acuminata) that can grow pretty large and produces odd sausage-shaped green fruits that wood ducks and other birds consume.
>
> Doug Gross
> Columbia County

Join us on Facebook!