Date: 1/31/18 8:42 pm
From: Eric Hough <thebirdwhisperer22...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] CAZ: Hassayampa River Preserve DICKCISSEL (heard-only)
This evening (1/31/18) while closing up after work at Hassayampa River Preserve near Wickenburg (Maricopa County), I'm confident I heard a DICKCISSEL call twice around the front garden near dusk. It called from the same area as where a small flock of White-crowned Sparrows flew in to roost nearest the metal agave structure. It was the loud, buzzy/electric, low-pitched "zeet" flight call. I was unable to get any recordings of it. I'll try again tomorrow morning to see if it's still present. Earlier today one of the RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS was flying around calling, a HUTTON'S VIREO was near the stairs going down to the river, and at least one BROWN CREEPER was near the River Ramble/Lion's Trail split. Last week a few RED CROSSBILLS were heard flying over calling. Amazingly, some of the willows are already putting out leaves and catkins with how warm it has been! The Preserve is open Wednesday-Sunday from 8am-5pm, trails close at 4:30pm (closed Mondays and Tuesdays). More information on the Preserve can be found at this link:

https://www.maricopacountyparks.net/park-locator/hassayampa-river-preserve/

Good birding,

Eric Hough
Wickenburg, AZ