Date: 1/31/18 4:20 pm
From: Richard Webster <webster.re...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Streak-backed Oriole continues at San Bernardino NWR
Hi Folks:

Today the 31st I saw the Streak-backed Oriole again at San Bernardino NWR.
It was essentially where I first saw it two weeks ago, in the crown of a
cottonwood in Black Draw about 30 m upstream (north) of where the main
east-west road in the refuge crosses Black Draw. It was again silent.

Andrew Core's helpful map, as taken from his Tucson RBA, is

San Bernardino NWR annotated map: https://goo.gl/uX96Pw

And the red line on the map is that east-west road that crosses Black Draw
(labeled on the map); the bluish stickpin correctly shows Minckley Ponds,
where I also saw the oriole two weeks ago. So the oriole does appear to be
sticking around to some degree.

I did not happen to see Green Kingfisher today, but was told by the
Slaughter Ranch managers (Vickie & Fred) that it had been seen at Slaughter
Ranch recently.

SBNWR is located 15 miles east of Douglas on Geronimo Trail (15th Street in
Douglas). The refuge is open all daylight hours to walk-in visitors; it is
a 30-45 minute walk to the oriole's area. Slaughter Ranch (see their
website) is, I think, Wed-Sun, 10-3 (fee).

Richard

Richard Webster
webster.re
AT