Date: 1/31/18 4:12 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Boardman/Morrow county Corvid behavior
Hi -

When I am observing birds I often have at least some idea of what they are up to, but with Ravens I often do not even have a clue.

In general (there are exceptions) birds eye anatomy is such that they have some binocular vision, but their highest-resolution vision is one eye at a time, so when bird turns its head sideways it is often to look with one eye at something high overhead,or at something below it. I have learned to see where the bird's upper eye is "pointing" and have often seen high-flying raptors they are watching, and that otherwise I would have totally missed.  Other times the thing they are watching is an airliner, far above patchy clouds.  The Raven could have been doing something similar, but this also could have been part of some social interaction with other Ravens that might not have even been visible to you.

Wayne
On 1/31/2018 3:41:51 PM, Pete Szasz <paszasz...> wrote:
These guys are always doing interesting stuff but never seen one turn there head all the way around in that manner?

-- [Inline image 1]

[Inline image 2]

Pete Szasz

Join us on Facebook!