Date: 1/31/18 4:05 pm
From: <mmelius...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] White-tailed Kite and other Las Cienegas area birds
This morning I found a White-tailed Kite along the Greaterville Road (Rte.
62), two miles west of Hwy. 83. It was on forest service land, in savannah
habitat north of the road. I was hiking along Trail 4072 when it flew overhead
around 10:15 am then landed nearly half a mile west. So I had great views of
the underside, fair views of the back. I went to my vehicle and drove towards
it but could not re-locate it despite searching for an hour.

Farther west along Rte. 62, at the Arizona Trail trailhead, I heard a Western
Screech Owl call during the lunar eclipse this morning.

In Las Cienegas NCA, at the Empire Ranch HQ around noon I found the bosque to
be quite birdy. Highlights include Cassin's Vireo, Brown Thrasher, Brown
Creeper, and Gray Flycatcher. In about 15 minutes of stationary birding in
the bosque I found 19 species.

Michael Melius
Hermosa, SD
(Sahuarita thru Feb.)