Date: 1/31/18 2:27 pm
Subject: Re: Small bird mortality in NC salt marsh during harsh winters
Chris,

I'm not sure the Marsh Wrens were necessarily wintering birds. But
good point on the 'Saltmarsh' Sparrows - I missed that Seasides were
not involved.

I do still think that temporary relocation from the degraded habitat
is a possible explanation of their absence - rather than total
mortality.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 5:04 PM, Christopher Hill <Chill...> wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2018, at 5:00 PM, Nate Dias <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>
> Populations returning to normal levels from "zero" after only 2 years
> would seem to argue against total mortality.
>

> This actually seems quite plausible. These are wintering birds. If one
> stretch of marshes in the wintering range is emptied out of wintering birds,
> new birds *should* repopulate it the next winter if it’s good habitat
> (assuming that there isn’t huge amounts of surplus wintering habitat). Even
> though banding studies have shown pretty ridiculous site-faithfulness in
> winter, there are new young birds being hatched every year looking for
> places to winter.
>
> Chris Hill
> Conway, SC

Join us on Facebook!