Date: 1/31/18 1:55 pm
From: Judy & Don <9waterfall9...>
Subject: Sapsucker holes
Yesterday a friend showed me the exterior bark of a honey locust with unusual rectangular holes made through only the outer layer of bark. The rectangles were in distinct longitudinal rows or stripes up to 30 centimeters long.

The Yellow-bellied Sapsucker holes I see in dozens of trees at Ninestone are horizontally arranged in rings around the circumference of trees. And the holes don't appear to be rectangular.

I just had a chance to research these holes online, looking through hundreds of photos. Nearly all images are referenced as simply "Woodpecker" or as Yellow-bellied Sapsucker sap wells, whether in horizontal rings around the trunks or in vertical rows of longitudinal stripes.

However, the longitudinal rectangular holes might be more often associated with Red-naped and Red-breasted Sapsuckers.

Is anyone familiar with these differences in sapsucker holes?

Thanks,

Judith
Ninestone, Carroll County

Join us on Facebook!