Date: 1/31/18 7:53 am
From: Lena Gallitano <lbg...>
Subject: Re: Do feeders keep hummingbirds from migrating south in the fall?
Good morning Carolinabirders,

John and Harry have some very good points about wintering birds that enjoy
our feeders. I'd like to add to John's comments about micro-climates.

Take a look at this plant hardiness map for a comparison from 1990 to
2015. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.arborday.org_media_map-5Fchange.cfm&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=FDmbULeJAni0JY2Lgh5Mydp0jrDfw812_4Snxi4fQnw&s=NiKEiCpRxg2cgKCte7v4QEaWs-c3IHmcOSiuzXk_KUM&e=

With even a small average change in temperature, I expect more birds are
able to find micro-climates, especially next to our buildings that offer
them just a few degrees of protection that will help them survive. We know
our native plants also offer greater food sources of larvae and bugs than
exotics. It would be interesting to compare habitat of the wintering birds
to see what native plants are in the area.

On one of our very cold days, I saw a Ruby-crowned Kinglet searching for
insects in the bark of one of our native trees. Maybe I've not been
observant enough to see that behavior before but they are typically
flitting from branch to branch when I've seen them. Now I wonder if this
observation was on the south and warmer side of the tree.

Many of you know I've had Baltimore Orioles in my yard since I began
Project Feeder Watch in 2003. That was the first time I had ever seen an
oriole in my yard. It was on the ground at a seed feeder but then flew up
to a saucer shaped hummingbird feeder I had neglected to bring inside.
There are sasanqua camellias in the neighbors yard and I've seen them at
the white flowers but never the pink. So what has kept them coming to my
yard? The grape jelly that I usually put out after I see the fist one in
the fall, the warmer winters or the habitat? A combination of all three?

I agree with Harry that we will not influence any global populations with
our feeders. I would suggest, however, that if we all work to protect
habitat on a large scale and on a small scale in our yards with more native
plants, we will offer our bird species a better opportunity to survive for
future generations.

Happy birding,

Lena Gallitano
Raleigh, NC