Date: 1/31/18 6:38 am
From: 'Daniel & Barbara Williams' <twotringas...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET: Barrow's Goldeneye, Townsend's Solitaire and Golden Eagle
Larry B and I decided to try for the Barrow's Goldeneye today, so we
arrived in Rapids City at 0900. Found Mike M and Jeff S from DuPage Co.
already at the boat launch. They had been there since 0830 and had seen
the Barrow's Goldeneye. They told us where and we all started to scan with
our scopes. Jeff was the 1st to relocate it on the IL side near a large
duck blind far right of the boat launch. We all got pretty good scope
looks even though it was a long distance away and often difficult to locate
among the hundreds of Common Goldeneyes.

We also found 2 female Long-tailed Ducks-1 near the downstream tip of the
small island and the other with the ducks near the blind.

Heading north toward Lost Mound, we detoured around Morrison, in Whiteside
County, to look for a Snowy Owl reported from there several days before but
had no luck.

Arriving at Lost Mound, we headed for the location where the solitaire(s)
have been seen most often. We all heard 1 making its whistle call 3-4
times, but did not see it. Larry B heard another call from down the hill
to the east. Mike M spotted a perched bird and saw it when it called. We
had a Northern Shrike along Shinske Road on the way out.

After lunch, we returned to Lost Mound to look for Golden Eagles. On the w
ay in, Mike saw a meadowlark fly across the road that turned out to be a
Western. Met Scott L, at the locked gate. He reported that he had just
seen a Golden Eagle fly up toward the bluffs. Jeff saw a lump in a distant
tree. A scope view confirmed a young Golden Eagle perched. Could not find
a solitaire for Scott.

Dan Williams
Rockford

Join us on Facebook!