Date: 1/31/18 6:08 am
From: Harvey Tomlinson <oddbirdsin...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Window Strikes
Hi Jersey Birders,
My house looks like it's in a permanent "decoration" mode for some un-named
holiday as I have numerous streamers, and stickers on the windows trying to
minimize window strikes.
The windows are most problematic during fall migration as I think the
locals have learned to steer clear.
2 weeks ago a huge Female Cooper's hawk came in after the numerous grackles
that were devouring garden seed. She sent them into a panic and 2 hit the
picture window. She also glanced into the window which caused her to land
on the lawn in a daze.
But, she noticed that there were 2 grackles also on the lawn and quickly
claimed them for her own.
In the past week I have seen her come in fast and low from the south
causing the birds to head towards the windows.
She pulls up short of the window and lands on the lawn......3x now she has
claimed a window strike for her own.
I get the feeling she has "learned" how to harvest House sparrows much to
my chagrin.
Normally the House sparrows avoid the windows but when she is on the attack
they lose their minds and become dinner.
Has this Coop really learned how to use the windows as a tool or is she
just one lucky accipiter?
I have seen it 3 times now and wonder if there are other times she's been
here I've missed.
Every time I see her prowling the neighborhood I get antsy about it. So
much so I've stopped putting seed out.
I will miss the many Fox sparrows, Cardinals, ect but the thump of a window
strike makes me ill.
Good Birding,
Harvey Tomlinson
Del Haven NJ