Date: 1/31/18 4:52 am
From: Barbara Kossy <bkossy...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Verde Road Pond Access
A friend and I went to the Verde Road pond yesterday afternoon looking for the Gallinule.
We followed the little path west off the road to the side of the pond.
We saw some neat birds, Common yellow throat, pied-bill grebe, ruddy ducks, and I even saw a double crested cormorant fly in and roost in a eucalyptus..
We also met the landowner John Giusti and his son Jacob.
Here’s an article from 2011.
http://www.hmbreview.com/news/giusti-generations-honored-for-farming-success/article_3b7e3ca6-6080-11e0-a985-001cc4c03286.html <http://www.hmbreview.com/news/giusti-generations-honored-for-farming-success/article_3b7e3ca6-6080-11e0-a985-001cc4c03286.html>
He told us we were trespassing on private property.
I chatted with them a bit and he gave us permission to continue birding.
I did not ask about permission for future visits, or on behalf of other birders. To be honest, I was a bit embarrassed.

I have great respect for our local farmers and all the challenges they face growing our food.
I suggest birders refrain from walking on private property without permission.
Mr. Giusti is an active community member and may well welcome future birders.

Is there any procedure for accessing private property?

Thanks.
Barbara Kossy
Moss Beach

Join us on Facebook!