Date: 1/31/18 12:06 am
From: Robert Furrow <robertfurrow...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Lewis's Woodpecker cont., Canada Rd. at Filoli, 28 Jan 2018, 3:15pm
I took advantage of the pleasant weather to bike over to Filoli to get a
green Lewis's Woodpecker. I arrived around 3:15pm today (28 Jan), and
enjoyed watching it fly-catch from the 5th wooden power post south of the
Filoli entrance. It was very successful at catching small insects, and it
would occasionally cross the road, grab a coast live oak acorn and fly back
to the post. It looked to me like it was trying to cache the acorns in the
post, though it was out of view on the far side of the post when it was
doing the hard work on that. Perhaps the bird will stay around for a
while. :)

Happy birding,
Rob Furrow

--