Date: 1/30/18 9:06 pm
From: pooja panwar <ppanwar...>
Subject: Update on Red Crossbills
Following Cheryl Hall's facebook post on Red Crossbills at her backyard
feeder and water baths in Bella Vista, Joe Neal, Joe Woolbright, Jackie
Woolbright and I went to look at the crossbills and record their calls.
Shortleaf pines running along the ridges around Cheryl's house explained
the presence of Crossbills. In first 15 minutes, a pair of crossbills came
to the water bath. Soon, 7-8 of Red crossbills descended from the pine
trees just across the road, giving ample time for observing them,
recordings their chip-chip calls and for Joe's photography. We will analyze
the calls and have update you on type of Red Crossbill. As put by Joe Neal,
it was one of easiest bird "stake outs". One thing is for sure, Anant
Deshwal would not be getting any sleep on missing such good looks and
recordings of Crossbills. Other notable species at her backyard feeders
were a Red-Breasted Nuthatch, a Prairie warbler, White-breasted Nuthatch,
Downy Woodpecker , Hairy Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker, Eastern Bluebird and Dark-eyed Juncos.

Its a great way to look at Red Crossbills this close. Master naturalist and
watercolorist Cheryl Hall graciously welcomes any bird watchers. If you are
planning to visit, please contact her on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/cheryl.hall.5458.

Stay tuned for more updates!

Warm Regards
Pooja Panwar