Date: 1/30/18 5:59 pm
From: Brian Johnson <buntingrobinjay...>
Subject: [cobirds] Rocky Mount Arsenal, Adams County
With my day off I went out to roam around Rocky Mountain Arsenal and though
I had to work to find them I did find some nice birds. I got a great look
at a pair of *Ferruginous hawks* along side of the road. This road is part
of the new expansion for the wildlife drive. If you have not seen it it is
an extra 7 ish miles of exploring in an area previously unavailable except
by tour bus. It is part of the new Bison rang expansion. To reach this new
area drive past Lower Derby Lake (which now has a parking lot and a
observation deck) and just before the road turns to gravel (the way to Blue
Stem Lake) there is a left hand turn. It becomes a one way road after a bit
so you must enter here. Since it is part of Bison Range you must stay in
your car. At the end is a parking lot for Rattle Snake Hill, and a short
loop trail. It's great to have some new options at such a great location.
Brian Johnson
Englewood CO