Date: 1/30/18 5:36 pm
From: Bill Thurman <bill.masterofmusic...>
Subject: Re: Check this out on NBCNews.com
Hi Jacob

I didn't think that birds would be directly affected by temperature
change like turtles, alligators or other reptiles. To me, what happens to
the birds are indirect affects, caused by what's already happened to
turtles, reptiles, fish and others that are lower on the food chain or
Animal Kingdom. Two of the definitions of "skewed" are crooked or out of
position. I would say that this definition is what has happened to the life
cycles of these turtles, alligators, fish or anything else similar to them
subjected to similar conditions.

Bill

On Jan 30, 2018 7:09 PM, "Jacob Wessels" <jacoblwessels...> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> To my knowledge, birds do not have temperature-dependent sex
> determination. However, a skewed sex ratio could still impact bird
> populations. Some studies, for example, have shown male-skewed populations
> and female-skewed mortality.
>
> Jacob Wessels
> Graduate student, MS in Biology
> Arkansas State University
>
> (sent from my mobile device)
>
> On Jan 30, 2018 5:30 PM, "Bill Thurman" <bill.masterofmusic...>
> wrote:
>
> Hi – at the risk of criticism and scorn I now share this report with the
> Birder community. I can envision this predicament happening in the future
> possibly even with birds. It may already be happening before we realize it.
> Simply food for thought, that's all.
>
> When I saw this on NBCNews.com, I thought you'd find it interesting:
> This population of green sea turtles is nearly all female, signalling a
> major problem
> http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/amp/population-gr
> een-sea-turtles-nearly-all-female-signalling-major-problem-
> n837341?cid=eml_onsite
> If you get a chance, let me know what you think of it. Thanks!

Join us on Facebook!