Date: 1/30/18 12:37 pm
From: Jonathan Lutz <jlutz...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Rufous-backed Robin at Paton Center 1/29/18
Good afternoon, fellow birders.

A Rufous-backed Robin was photographed and reported at the Paton Center on
Monday, January 29. The bird was photographed in the mesquite tree that
grows directly behind the main house. To my knowledge, the bird has not
been seen yet today.

Cassin's Finches are continuing in the front yard. Look for these birds to
be mingling with House Finches at feeders offering mixed seed and black oil
sunflower seeds. They've also been visiting the low, shallow watering
stations.

Two Violet-crowned Hummingbirds (along with a Broad-billed and multiple
Anna's) were observed this morning. Both birds appear to be a in good
health. A Violet-crowned with a damaged bill and appearing in poor
condition was observed and photographed over the weekend. We'll continue to
watch for this bird.

If you live in the area and are interested in volunteering at the Paton
Center for Hummingbirds, we have volunteer positions available. Docents are
needed to fill volunteer shifts on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays, and
Saturday afternoons. A typical docent shift lasts 4-6 hours and begins with
cleaning and filling seed, suet, and nectar feeders. The remainder of the
day is spent interacting with visiting birders from around the US and the
world. We also have volunteer work days that involve the eradication of
invasive Johnson Grass in a concentrated riparian zone along Sonoita Creek.
This multi-year project is intended to benefit species like the Western
Yellow-billed Cuckoo and the Gray Hawk. Interested parties should email
Tucson Audubon Volunteer Coordinator, Luke Safford, to enroll in the
volunteer program. Thereafter, we'll schedule an orientation day at the
Paton Center.

For inquiries and questions, please feel free to email me: Jonathan Lutz,
Paton Center Director, via <jlutz...>

The Paton Center is open daily from sunrise to sunset. Please observe the
site rules posted at the information kiosk, which include keeping dogs on
leashes at all times and no flash photography allowed. Follow the Paton
Center online for regular updates:

http://www.facebook.com/patonhummingbirds
http://www.tucsonaudubon.org/paton

Best regards,