Date: 1/30/18 10:26 am
From: Geo Kloppel <geokloppel...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Re: Crows and Cooper’s Hawk
I don’t know what would have happened eventually, if they’d been left undisturbed, but after 20 minutes of this unexpected tolerance, my apprentice arrived on the scene. As we walked slowly down to the workshop, the Crows flushed one by one (they know us, and watch for their regular handouts, but they don’t allow us to approach). The hawk was the last to leave, flying off through the trees, strong and agile.

Through the entire 20 minutes I never heard anything out of the Crows, though at one point one of them was visibly making some sort of quiet vocalization that did’t penetrate to my living room.

The Crows soon returned, and so have all the other feeder birds.

-Geo

> On Jan 30, 2018, at 11:11 AM, Geo Kloppel <geokloppel...> wrote:
>
> Three Crows, regulars at my feeding station, are resting quietly on their usual perches in an ash tree. They’re about 30 feet up, and the scene looks just like any other winter day, except that an adult Cooper’s Hawk is perched about ten feet below them. Been there for 15 minutes!
>
> The Crows are not making a fuss, and it almost looks like the Coop is “pretending” to be one of them, using them as cover while waiting for small birds to return to the sunflower hopper just below.
>
> A fourth Crow has flown in, and one of the others dropped down toward the ground feeding area, as if to grab a morsel, but thought better of it, I guess.
>
> -Geo

ARCHIVES:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/