Date: 1/30/18 10:20 am
Subject: >12,000 Razorbills @ Cape Hatteras
I was curious to see what was going on with Razorbills inshore, so I drove out to Cape Point this morning. As soon as I got there, it was obvious that numbers have increased. There was a steady movement of auks headed east or southeast off the south beach. I watched it for maybe all but 15 minutes out of 140 minutes, and periodically checked the rate of birds going by. It ranged from maybe 60 birds a minute to over 400 birds a minute, but most of the time seemed to be about 100 a minute. I figured at least 12,000 auks passed during the time I was there between 0900 and 1120. It was partly to mostly cloudy with NW winds at 20 to 30 knots.

There was also a steady procession of Red-throated Loons, but not nearly as many of them as there were auks. There were several Horned Grebes on the water and I saw one Red-necked Grebe with them.

Brian Patteson
Hatteras, NC

Join us on Facebook!