Date: 1/30/18 8:54 am
From: Daniel Bogar <trichonis...>
Subject: Re: Hackberry Trees: Bedford Co.
Laura,

There are 3 species of butterfly in PA that use Hackberry as a larval food plant: Hackberry emperor, Tawny emperor, and the American snout butterfly. I have seen all 3 species in my yard in Perry Co., with the first being the most common. According to David Wright's Atlas of PA Butterflies, all 3 species are found across the lower 2/3s of the state excluding the Laurel Highlands.

Daniel Bogar
Marysville, PA