Date: 1/30/18 5:21 am
From: Gross, Douglas <dogross...>
Subject: Hackberry Birds: Evening Grosbeaks

I have enjoyed the string about hackberry (Celtis occidentalis) which I've always thought was an underestimated tree for wildlife & backyard plantings.

One of my most memorable moments doing Christmas Bird Counts was around 1980 in Montoursville helping with the Lycoming County CBC. I heard some crackling overhead in a big hackberry tree near the confluence of Loyalsock Creek and the West Branch Susquehanna. I could see the hulls & stems of hackberry fruits falling on the snow near my feet. Then, I could hear the loud chip notes of Evening Grosbeaks above. The grosbeaks were feasting on the hackberry fruits. Those Evening Grosbeaks were the only ones recorded that year for that CBC with none seen at artificial feeders.

Chuck Fergus lists several birds & mammals among those that feed on hackberry fruits in his Trees of Pennsylvania book.

Doug Gross

Greenwood Twp, Columbia County

Join us on Facebook!